The Nursing Act requires that we publish certain information regarding the decisions made by our conduct committees. To fulfill this requirement, we publish decisions or summaries.
It’s important to note that in certain cases, information that is subject to a publication ban cannot be included. This may mean that information subject to the publication ban is either redacted prior to posting or is not posted at all.
What Information Is Posted?
On the Search for a Nurse page, you will find:
- Summaries or decisions issued by the Professional Conduct Committee after a public hearing:
- A copy of the decision is posted when the Professional Conduct Committee determines that the nurse engaged in professional misconduct, conduct unbecoming the profession, incompetence or incapacity.
- If the Professional Conduct Committee determines that the nurse did not engage in professional misconduct, conduct unbecoming the profession, incompetence or incapacity, it is up to the committee to determine the extent of publication of the decision.
- Summaries of licensing sanctions issued without a hearing, such as licensing sanctions issued by the Complaints Committee with consent from the nurse named in the complaint or through settlement agreements approved by the Professional Conduct Committee.
- Summaries of current interim action imposed by the Complaints Committee. Previous interim action that is no longer in effect does not appear on this page.
How to Search for a Discipline Decision
From the Search for a Nurse page, you can access a list of all registrants who have a complaint comment by clicking the ‘Has Complaint Comment’ tick box above the search button, then click ‘search’. If you know the particular matter you are searching for, you can also access the record by searching by the registrant’s name or registration number. Click ‘more details’ on the right-hand side of the registrant record if you would like to access the decision or summary.
Public decisions which are subject to a publication ban of some of the information can be found HERE.
When the Nursing Act was proclaimed, CLPNNS and CRNNS joined together to co-create the Nova Scotia College of Nursing. Notices from each former College are available and many of the following notices refer to decisions made by each respect College prior to proclamation.