As an organization that has paved a new way forward for regulation in Nova Scotia, being innovative and creative is part of our DNA. We welcome you to learn more about our organization, our culture and our work environment.
Working with Us
The public trusts us to regulate the nursing profession in the public’s interest and we trust our staff to carry out our mandate of public protection. As an organization built on trust, we offer a supportive, professional and collaborative workplace for you to learn and lead.
We are proud of our innovative thinking, along with our commitment to operating in a way that maintain the integrity of the organization and helps to ensure we are being accountable, transparent, agile and relational in everything that we do.
Working with our Team
Our team consists of dedicated staff with backgrounds in law, nursing, business, public relations, information technology, policy development, leadership, finance and customer service. Our team enjoys fostering a respectful environment where every voice is heard.
Working in our Office
Our innovative office space is modeled after the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold Certification Standards that supports the health and well-being of those working in the building. Our office includes bright spaces, high-efficient heating, an abundance of natural light, LED lighting, accessible transportation including an on-site bike storage room and electric vehicle charging station, and a free gym for staff. We believe that when our staff feel their best, they do their best and our office space supports this attitude.
The Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) is the safeguard that ensures the public that all nurses in Nova Scotia have the education and skills they need to care for people safely, competently, ethically, and compassionately. The public trusts us to regulate the nursing profession in the public’s interest and our staff are empowered to ensure public protection is our top priority. As an organization built on trust, we offer a supportive, professional and collaborative workplace for you to learn and lead.
As part of the NSCN team, you will contribute to our purpose of leading to inspire excellence to uphold public confidence. Excellence is at the core of all we do. Together, we will support our nurses to provide safe, competent and compassionate care in the communities we live and work. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion ensures we inspire excellence both publicly and within our organization. We are looking for an individual who will settle for nothing less than excellence in their role.
The Communications Coordinator will work as part of the Communications team and as part of the Strategy and Operations service area to support the overall operations and strategic objectives of the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN). This role will provide communications support on a variety of operational strategies, both internal and external to the organization as well as lead the organization’s day-to-day digital presence. The Communications Coordinator will actively contribute to the Strategy and Operations team in meeting the NSCN vision, mission, values and strategic objectives.
- Support the planning, organizing, executing and monitoring of internal and external communications plans, strategies and related activities.
- Participate collaboratively in internal, cross functional committees, teams and/or projects as a communications representative and on behalf of the Strategy and Operations team.
- Contribute to and implement digital communications design and content for the organization’s multi-channel platforms, including the e-newsletter, stakeholder emails, online advertisements, social media and video content.
- Perform the role of writer and editor for day-to-day matters using plain language techniques, creating and implementing standard document formats and engaging stakeholders in the consultation process.
- Contribute to and implement the day-to-day social media, including but not limited to: creating the design content, creating and managing the organization’s online presence.
- Lead the communications work on the NSCN website, including:
- Creating design and content
- Coordinate layout and construction of new pages
- Proofread new or revised content
- Refresh current web pages by reviewing pages, adding new contact information and updating layout
- Implement new strategies based on website analytics and feedback and finding new ways to engage stakeholders through the website.
- Assist in implementing the organization’s media strategy, including: facilitating the day-to-day media monitoring and providing support to the Communications team as required.
You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills and are able to apply this to the communication support you deliver. You have experience working on multiple, organization-wide projects and understand the importance of prioritizing your work. You are organized, dependable and can quickly adapt to a changing environment. You are a team player who understands the importance of collaboration and can build relationships with colleagues, NSCN stakeholders and media representatives. You believe in the value that the communications role can bring to the organization and are motivated to keep informed of best practice, with the confidence to bring ideas and solutions forward in the best interest of NSCN.
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in public relations, communications or digital design or diploma in public relations/communications with relevant experience.
- Minimum 2-3 years of communication experience.
- Knowledge and practical experience managing digital communications platforms such as: open source websites, email marketing platforms, social media management platforms and social media sites.
- Experience with digital design considered an asset.
If you are interested in exploring this opportunity, we invite you to apply with your cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be received until June 18th, 2021. Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) is committed to creating a diverse environment. Qualified individuals from underrepresented groups who would contribute to the diversification and shared vision of our organization are encouraged to apply. NSCN is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is representative of the communities we support. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.