Professional Liability Protection

Nurses in Nova Scotia must have professional liability protection to legally practise nursing. Professional liability protection provides nurses with support and services if ever faced with allegations of professional negligence. 

Nurses receive professional liability protection from a third-party vendor and it is incorporated into their nursing licence each year.  

All NSCN licensure fees include professional liability protection. Professional liability protection is mandatory and it is not possible to opt out. 

What is included in my professional liability protection?

LPNs receive professional liability protection through Lloyd Sadd Insurance. For more information on your coverage, click here

RNs and NPs receive professional liability protection through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society. For more information, click here

Why are there separate vendors for LPNs and RNs/NPs?

The legacy Colleges used different vendors for professional liability coverage. As part of the co-creation of the Nova Scotia College of Nursing, it was determined that vendors would remain the same until a time when the College could explore this further. 

How much is my professional liability protection per year?

Click here for fee information. 

As a self-employed nurse, do I need additional liability protection?

Nurses in a self-employed practice should consult with a business lawyer and respective liability provider to discuss whether additional protection is necessary. For more information on self-employed practice, read our Self-Employed Practice Guidelines.  

As an NP, do I need additional liability protection? 

CNPS protection extends to the NP as an individual for the defence of legal actions arising from the provision of professional nursing services. It is not available for claims against an NP’s employees, an NP in his or her capacity as employer, or a business entity such as an incorporated company or partnership, other than a business entity of which the NP is the sole owner as well as the sole employee or provider of nursing services.

Should you operate a business, it would be generally advisable for your business to carry separate protection. Your business financial or legal advisor may assist you in determining the type and extent of protection or coverage that would be appropriate for your business. You may also need “business-type” coverage for risks associated with your infrastructure if you are an independent contractor.

If you are unsure whether you operate a business or whether you are an independent contractor, please contact CNPS for more information.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us at We strive to respond to you as soon as possible. However, due to the high volumes of emails and complexity of inquiries, our response time may vary.  

Please be advised that registration requirements and fees are subject to change. All registration and licensure fees are non-refundable. Click here to learn more about fees and payment options