NSCN 2021 Annual Meeting

The Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) will hold its 2021 Annual Meeting virtually as an online event on Thursday, May 20th at 1:00 p.m. The meeting provides members of the public, registrants and other stakeholders with the opportunity to receive updates about NSCN business from the Board, the CEO & Registrar and external auditors. The meeting also allows all stakeholders a platform to ask questions and engage in discussions about nursing regulatory matters.

Register for the Annual Meeting here and see below for more details.

Meeting Materials

What business takes place at the meeting? 

The Annual Meeting is an opportunity for stakeholders to learn more about the Board’s governance and oversight of NSCN. Participants will hear more about NSCN’s activities over the past year and get an update from our external auditors. 

Who can attend? 

Everybody! The virtual Annual Meeting is open to members of the public, NSCN registrants and all other stakeholders. 

How do I register and join?

The meeting will be conducted via Zoom Webinar. You can register for the May 20th Annual Meeting here on our website and we will follow-up via email by providing you a link to join the meeting. We will also send you a link to the relevant annual meeting materials that also appear here on our website.  

Can I test the technology on my computer before the meeting? 

Yes, and we encourage you to do so because it will help to avoid technical issues in advance of the meeting. We are a small team so technical support will be limited once the annual meeting begins. Please test your computer here at this link https://zoom.us/test.  

Is there an Annual Meeting agenda? 

Yes. The 2021 Annual Meeting Agenda can be found here

Are there any Annual Meeting or Voting Rules I should know in advance? 

No. With a streamlined Annual Meeting process that enhances the participant experience, we were able to remove formalities that required specific rules of conduct. Instead, we have created a resource that is intended to support you through the process.  

How do I access the Annual Report?

You can find the 2021 Annual Report here on our website. - coming soon

Where can I access the 2020 Annual Meeting Minutes?

The 2020 Annual Meeting minutes can be found here on our website

Where are the NSCN By-laws?

The NSCN By-laws can be found here on our website

Were there any resolutions submitted that will be voted upon at the Annual Meeting?  

No. A call for resolutions was issued on January 20, 2021 and closed on February 19, 2021. No resolutions were submitted for consideration, which means there are no resolutions to vote on at the 2021 Annual Meeting.  

Are there any other matters that could be voted upon?  

Following public consultation, the Board approved revised by-laws with respect to annual meetings on April 7, 2021. The revised by-laws no longer include a process for motions, and require the Board to approve the past meeting minutes in advance of the annual meeting. These revisions were designed to provide an enhanced experience for annual meeting participants and better demonstrate consistency with NSCN’s regulatory mandate. Without any resolutions submitted in advance, there will be no matters that require a registrant vote at the 2021 Annual Meeting. 

What if I have a matter I would like to bring forward to the NSCN Board? 

A meeting attendee may ask questions or submit comments regarding a nursing regulatory matter during the discussion period at the annual meeting. Board policy permits registrants to submit a resolution for the Board’s consideration throughout the year (Board policy 3.13.4). This process enables registrants to bring issues to the Board for consideration in a more timely manner throughout the year without waiting until the Annual Meeting.  

Am I able to ask questions at the meeting? 

Yes. Meeting attendees will have the opportunity to participate in discussions and pose questions via the written chat function in the online platform. There will be a discussion period held at the end of the meeting after the presentation of the Annual Meeting information.  

What is the process to ask questions in the online format?

All stakeholders can ask a question or make a comment via the online chat function for discussion during the scheduled discussion period. Participants can type their question into the chat forum and a moderator will read the question so that all participants can hear the question and the response. 

What type of questions can I ask? 

Meeting participants may ask a question or make a comment on the information presented during the Annual Meeting or other nursing regulatory matters. 

If I ask a question, am I guaranteed to get a response? 

Yes. We will do our best to answer all questions in the time allotted. If there is not enough time to address all questions and comments, we will collect all questions and provide written responses that will be made available to stakeholders on our website following the Annual Meeting. 

The Board Chair, under By-law 26.2 has the authority to “make procedural rulings or determinations on any matter relevant to the meeting”, which may include decisions regarding time management. Where the Chair considers it appropriate, a matter may also be deferred for further consideration and response by the NSCN Board or NSCN staff. 

Why were changes to by-laws specific to the Annual Meeting required? 

NSCN held its first annual meeting virtually on October 1, 2020. As part of ongoing opportunities for learning and enhancement, the Board and leadership of NSCN reviewed annual meeting processes for areas of growth and a clarity in terms of our role as Nova Scotia’s nursing regulatory body.   

The review and evaluation of the 2020 annual meeting highlighted two areas for evolution that are of particular importance to the NSCN Board: 

• demonstration of NSCN’s regulatory mandate,
  • enhancing the experience of annual meeting participants. 

Was there an opportunity to provide feedback on the revised by-laws before they were approved? 

Yes. The proposed by-laws were publicly available on our website during a 30-day period from February 26, 2021 to March 28, 2021. The consultation included a plain language summary of the proposed changes, a rationale for the changes, and links to both the current NSCN by-laws and the proposed amended by-laws. 

Every registrant received an email invitation to participate in the consultation on February 26, 2021. Registrants also received a reminder through our monthly e-newsletter on March 23, 2021 and via our social media channels, Facebook and Twitter, on March 3rd and March 26th.  

Where can I learn more about the by-laws changes? 

Please review the previous consultation and more detailed information about the outcome here

How can I learn more? 

Stay tuned to our website, newsletters, Facebook and Twitter! And email annual.meeting@nscn.ca if you have specific questions.