Once you have met all conditional registration and licensure requirements you will be eligible to practise temporarily as an LPN, RN or NP in Nova Scotia.
This section of the website is for you if you are currently licensed as a nurse in any other province or territory in Canada and you wish to temporarily engage in the practise of nursing in Nova Scotia for a special, time-limited event. These events may include but are not limited to:
- A short-term work contract with a nursing agency
- Temporary employment as a camp nurse
- Participation in a nursing course in Nova Scotia
- Assisting in an emergency or disaster event
Before you begin, it’s important to know:
- We can issue one special event conditional licence to eligible applicants in a given licensure year. If you think you will need to work or study in Nova Scotia more than once in a licensure year, you should apply for registration and a practising category of licence.
- The special event conditional licence is only valid for employment with the agency and work site noted in your application.
- All application documents must be provided in English. Translations from a certified translator are also accepted. You are responsible for the cost of all translations.
- All documents received through the application process are the property of NSCN and can only be released to another regulatory body with your written permission. Documents will not be released to you or to any third party unless required by law.
- We will process your special event conditional licence within 14 days of receiving the last required document from you.
Criminal Record Checks and Verification of Registration
- If submission of a Criminal Record Check (CRC) was a condition of your employment with the agency or camp, and it is less than 6 months old, you may request your employer provide a copy directly to NSCN as part of the application process. If you have not provided your employer with a CRC, or the current CRC is more than 6 months old, you are required to submit a new CRC directly to NSCN via the process outlined in the application.
- NSCN may accept online Verification of Registration with your current jurisdiction as long as there is no disciplinary or conduct history. Otherwise, you are required to have your current jurisdiction submit a Verification Registration form directly to NSCN as outlined in the application.
If you are unsure about whether you qualify for this category of licence or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com. We strive to respond to you as soon as possible. However, due to the high volumes of emails and complexity of inquiries, our response time may vary.
To submit an application for an Special Event Conditional License, please apply and pay applicable fees through the portal here.
If you have questions about obtaining an Special Event Conditional License (SECL), please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We strive to respond to you as soon as possible. However, due to the high volumes of emails and complexity of inquiries, our response time may vary.
Please be advised that registration requirements and fees are subject to change. All registration and licensure fees are non-refundable. Click here to learn more about fees and payment options.