The following may be helpful when reviewing information on this page
Registered Nurse - Conditional
December 14, 2020
October 31, 2021
On June 17, 2020, the Professional Conduct Committee ordered that Mr. Coolen serve a one year suspension. The suspension was completed on June 23, 2020. The Professional Conduct Committee also imposed the following conditions and restrictions on Mr. Coolen’s licence:
1. The Respondent will enroll in the following education, at the earliest date each is offered, following June 17, 2020, at his own cost, and provide to a College Professional Conduct Consultant proof of both registration in and completion of the following:
i. Righting a Wrong: Ethics and Professionalism in Nursing, NCSBN; and
ii. Responsible Nursing – Self Study, Grant MacEwan.
2. For a period of five (5) years commencing on his return to nursing practice following the one-year suspension, the Respondent’s employers shall be provided with a copy of the Professional Conduct Decision and the Joint Submission, without attachments:
i. In order to facilitate this requirement, the Respondent will immediately notify a Professional Conduct Consultant at the College if he receives an offer of employment as a Registered Nurse (including on a casual or temporary basis); he will provide the Professional Conduct Consultant with the name and contact information of his intended supervisor or manager, and request that the College send that individual copies of the Professional Conduct Decision and the Joint Submission, prior to the beginning of employment.
ii. The Respondent will not commence employment until he has received written confirmation from the College that the required documents have been provided to his employer.
3. For a period of one (1) year commencing on his return to nursing practice following the one year suspension, the Respondent must arrange for his practice to be supervised as follows:
i. Mr. Coolen is only permitted to provide in-person direct care when:
1. A registered nurse is present for general supervision, monitoring and oversight of his nursing practice (i.e. there must be at least one other RN present in person at the location where Mr. Coolen is working at all times), and
2. The supervising RN must be aware of the restrictions on Mr. Coolen’s licence and the allegations upon which the restrictions are based.
ii. Mr. Coolen will be supervised by an RN who has been provided a copy of the Joint Submissions, without attachments. Mr. Coolen will arrange for his supervisor to immediately report to the College any breach, or suspected breach, of the conditions and restrictions on his licence.
4. Mr. Coolen will arrange for his supervisor to provide the College’s Professional Conduct Consultant with performance reviews for Mr. Coolen on a quarterly basis, for a period of two (2) years. The Professional Conduct Committee will reconvene to consider further action if an unsatisfactory performance evaluation is received or if a performance review is not provided to the College as required.
Please contact NSCN for further information.
Decisions and Outcomes
Condition or restriction, Reprimand, Suspension
June 17, 2020
On June 17, 2020, before the Professional Conduct Committee, Mr. Coolen consented to a suspension of his licence as well as conditions on his licence. Click here to read the decision.